Endangered snow leopard has a natural ally, study finds: Buddhist monks

Being a snow leopard in the high, rugged mountains of western China is a tough rebirth. They’re rare, so their gorgeous pelts are even more coveted by those who covet such things; a few of their organs are highly sought after in traditional Chinese medical circles; and some herders would rather they weren’t around, to ensure the safety of their livestock. They’re on the endangered list, and their numbers are dropping alarmingly.

According to a recent study, however, the snow leopard seems to have a natural ally and protector among some other mountain denizens: Tibetan Buddhist monks residing in the hundreds of monasteries that share the leopard’s territory.

The livescience web site references the results of two years of snow leopard research on the Tibetan plateau, published last week in the journal Conservation Biology. It has some heartening things to say about to positive impact of Buddhism in conservation:

“‘Buddhism has as a basic tenet — the love, respect, and compassion for all living beings,’ said study co-author George Schaller, a biologist with the endangered cat conservation group Panthera, in a statement. ‘This report illuminates how science and the spiritual values of Tibetan Buddhism can combine their visions and wisdom to help protect China’s natural heritage…’

“Since 2009, several conservation organizations have worked with four monasteries in the region to reduce human-leopard conflicts and to train monks to protect wildlife.

“The team found that many Buddhist monks — not just those at the four monasteries they worked with — actively patrolled the areas to prevent the killing of snow leopards; the monks also taught the local people that killing the majestic creatures was wrong.

“In household surveys with 144 families, most people said they did not kill wildlife, with many citing Buddhism’s nonviolence as their reasoning.

“All told, a greater proportion of the snow leopards were being protected in regions around monasteries than in the core nature reserve set aside for the big cats, the study found.

“The findings suggest programs that work with Buddhist monasteries to promote snow leopard conservation could be remarkably effective.”

Read the full livescience article here and watch the ABC News Nightline feature on Panthera’s snow leopard program in Mongolia here.

1. Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:00 am | Permalink

dooming  doorman  doormat  doormen  doorway  doowops
     doozers  doozies. pereopod perfecta perfecto perfects perforce performs perfumed perfumer.
    kine     king     kink     kino     kins     kips
        kirk     kirn.

2. Posted July 26, 2014 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Thank you for the good writeup. It actually was once a entertainment account it.
    Look complex to more introduced agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

3. Posted July 29, 2014 at 4:19 am | Permalink

If some one needs expert view about blogging after that
    i propose him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the good work.

4. Posted August 29, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative
    and amusing, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the
    head. The problem is something which not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this during my search for something regarding this.

5. Posted September 9, 2014 at 1:32 am | Permalink

최신영화 다운로드

6. Posted September 23, 2014 at 4:08 am | Permalink

aniline  anilins  anility  animacy  animals  animate  animato
     animism. dilators dilatory dilemmas dilemmic diligent diluents diluters diluting.

gremial  gremlin  gremmie  grenade  greyest  greyhen  greying
     greyish.

7. Posted September 23, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & aid other customers like
    its helped me. Good job.

8. Posted September 25, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Мне нравятся эти стили. this image
    является, фактически,
    № 1 фото.Хорошая глубина ;-) Вот
    это красивое фото с очень хорошим
    светом :-D Превосходные изображения захватывают дух.

Ваши изображения выглядят отлично!!!

9. Posted September 26, 2014 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?

Thanks a lot!

10. Posted September 28, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question that I’d
    like to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to find out how you center
    yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I’ve had difficulty clearing my mind in getting
    my thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any
    ideas or tips? Appreciate it!