The internet is changing our brains. Can we change them back?

Texting, Googling, tweeting, flitting from this to that… the internet is literally changing our brains!

“I became aware of changes in my own thinking a couple of years ago,” Nicholas Carr, author of the new book, The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains, told CNN. “… I came to realize [that] I was losing my ability to pay deep attention to one thing over a long period of time. When I’d sit down to read a book, for instance, I was only able to sustain my concentration for a page or two. My mind would begin to crave stimulation and distraction — it wanted to click on links, jump from page to page, check email, do some Googling…”

Our whole day to day is filled with running from here to there, no time to stop, places to go and things to get done one after another! Zazen is a moment of stillness and wholeness amid all that running around. [Click through for more, and to "sit-a-long" with today's video from Jundo Cohen.]

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows. Remember:¬†recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.

To view all of Jundo and Taigu’s SunSpace posts,¬†click here.

To subscribe to the RSS for the “sit-a-longs,” and be notified of new postings,¬†click here.

Visit Jundo and Taigo’s Treeleaf Zendo online, here.

1. Posted September 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I agree that this is something that we need to be concerned about. But it all comes down to making the concious choice to spend our time wisely. Do we want to use our lives to their full potential and engage in serious dharma practice or do we just want all the stimulating brain candy we can eat?

2. Soen
    Posted September 22, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I haven't got time for this! Only joking ;-) Thanks for the reminder Jundo.

3. Jene via facebook
    Posted September 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I suppose the advent of mass phone and tv use had similar effect. Reminds me also of Maya Angelou (I believe) who said that she would give herself time to think and be by checking into a hotel for a couple of days with no phone or tv or any of that. Julia Cameron also advises something similar in the Artist's Way when she suggest that people "unplug" from books for a week, I think. Periodic fasting, centering of this kind is necessary in today's world where it is not possible to forever escape these inventions.

4. Jennifer
    Posted September 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

It's funny, even watching these videos, the eye is distracted by all the Stuff on the Shambhala Sunspace page: the ads for books, teachers, schools, products, the recent comments, and everything else. All good practice for keeping focused, I guess. ;)

5. Don
    Posted September 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Shikantaza.
    Gassho.

6. Jinyu
    Posted September 27, 2010 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Thank you Jundo!

gassho,
    Jinyu
    ps: what about zazen changing our brains ;o)

7. MaryAnn Mims
    Posted September 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I would think that "all" would appreciate the internet as a path to reaching as many people as possible. Thank you for "Slow is Fast" and thank you Navy Seals! …M