“Why I Quit Facebook”

What if our online life gets in the way of our flesh and blood connections? In “Why I Quit Facebook,” from the July 2013 Shambhala Sun, Sumi Loundon Kim explains why and how she cut the wireless tether. (It wasn’t easy!)

“Why I Quit Facebook” is now online for you to read in its entirety; just click here.

1. susan
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thank you for the nudge, I am currently visiting the West Coast, far from my home back East, with that I have been unable to let go of Facebook out of fear of "missing" something. Ahhh what I am "missing" is being here now. Interestingly, two days ago I woke and thought, I need to let go of Facebook, so that I can be here now, right now.

2. Signs on the Wall
    Posted July 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Why I never joined facebook.

3. dbum
    Posted July 6, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

On the other hand, learn to do both.

4. Katherine
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Facebook is a miracle for those who are trapped at home with a chronic illness. It enables many who are home bound to community of like minded individuals to practice together.

5. marcea0k
    Posted July 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

The points raised in this article are precisely the reasons I didn't join facebook until last month, when I received a friend request from my oldest friend in the world. Due to our work schedules and living 4-5 hours apart I thought it might help us connect more often. While I have picked up the threads of connection with some old friends, that particular friend & I have not been more connected. For the most part I agree with this article and the potential for addiction. I'm staying logged out of facebook until evening when I log in, read then hide most of my news feed posts and then logout again. On the weekends I'm not using it at all. And I think it would be possible to stop using all together before I reach the end of a full year on it.

6. everyman
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

hmmm, well, all of what you say in the article is true, indeed. However, it is not the external 'social media' that creates the problem. Rather, it is the illusory approval matrix that so many people carry with them, like so much echo and feedback, it distorts the basic non-nature of Facebook itself. It is nothing without the emotional and psychological narratives we already bring to it. Like anything else, it can be abused by those with proclivity to abuse or to seek approval or grasp at outward appearances or those with a strong technology/commodity fetish. Otherwise, it is either annoying or useful.

cheers